Do you worry about not being able to keep up with the fast-changing world? Do you fear being seen as an out-of-touch relic?
Well, fear no more! Because I’ve got a few simple ways that can help you stay in the game:
- If you’re tired of traditional news sources but want to know what’s going on, try the SKIMM. theskimm.com/?r=3R22D. It’s an easy and entertaining digest of what’s happening in the world. So, what if it was intended to appeal to Millenials?!
- If you’re feeling left behind on technology or don’t know the first thing about how to best use social media, take a class.
- Upgrade your technology, then take a tutorial on how to use it.
- Stay involved in your industry organization.
- Sign up for classes on topics of interest. There are university programs available to Boomers that are free or nearly free.
- Join a book club.
- Pretend you’re a tourist in your own town and visit the top attractions.
- Tune into a program you’d never watch and see what’s happening.
- Take a road trip and stop to smell the roses and see the sights.
- Mentor someone.
- Call someone you’d like to stay in touch with and meet them for coffee.
- Start a business.
You won’t be alone in your pursuit of new interests. Exploring the possibilities can be great fun. Experiment with something small scale, then go all out!
You’ll be amazed at how it makes you feel. It will open up new doors and new relationships.
So, tell me. What are you doing to avoid feeling like a relic? Feel free to share in the comments!
Susan K Spaulding is an Author, Facilitator, Researcher, Strategist, Consultant, and Coach.
I work with businesses and leaders to take inventory, uncover the possibilities and navigate a path forward. Storytelling is fundamental to learning, teaching, connecting and inspiring.